Monday, January 2, 2012

The Secret to Success in 2012 and Beyond!

Well, here we are 2012. The year that some believe is the countdown to the end of days. If that's the case, I am making sure that this is the best year of my life!  Seriously, if the end of the world is not leverage for you, and you are like most of us, your New Years Resolution won't make it past February. You know the story, we go full force then burn out, we procrastinate all year then set extremely high goals and expectations only to give up and go right back to same old, same old.  There is much advice available on how to make sure you are not the majority; a typical statistic. All good advice indeed! But, there is something missing; a major key factor in creating lasting change for your life. Yes, we need to change our behaviors, yes we need to set routine, and big YES to do all of that we need to change our mindset. Change your thoughts and you change your life is something I teach regularly.
But, what I think is missing, a key factor to individual lasting change, is a focus change. A focus change to contribution. Contribution to something or someone other than ourselves.  For my look back on 2011, I see this very clearly.  I acheived more of my personal goals for 2011 then any other year. The difference, I think, was my decision to focus on giving back and getting more involved in causes close to my heart.
Simply put, I believe that we are much more likely to follow through with goals and intentions if we are feeling good; period. You are not going to want to stick to healthy habits if you're in a state of anxiety, sadness, anger, frustration, insecurity or any other disempowering state, THAT'S when we "fall off the wagon". THAT'S when we go back to old habits.  Isn't it true?  I believe that a sure fire way to prevent resolution failure is a focus on contribution, a lifestyle of contribution.  I have found that when I am helping others, I am at my best. When I am at my best I more naturally and easily have the mindset needed to accomplish what I set out to accomplish! You cannot not feel good when you're making a difference. And please remember, it does not have to mean big huge things that cost money. It just means looking for any opportunity at all; making someone laugh that looks miserable, giving a sincere compliment to someone, holding the door for someone, you get the idea. I know this may sound trite, but believe me it's not. You have the power to make a big difference and you probably don't even realize it.  Many opportunities are there if you just look!
So, this year, give it a try. Let your top "Resolution" be focusing on helping others and see how you do on all your other resolutions like weight loss, healthy eating, getting out of debt and quitting smoking.  I predict that you will have a much easier time of it and much more fun in the process. Would love to hear about your experiences! Here's to 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment